Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Conversation with ASU's Theatre Students..

On last evening, I was invited to meet and greet some of the Theatre Arts students at Alabama State University. In my conversation I encouraged the students to reach for all of their dreams. To share their blessings with others, to show less and hide more, and to save the pity parties for later.

Many may not understand why I chose these discussion points. It is very simply. Dr. Tommie Stewart spoke to my graduating class at St. Jude Educational Institute in 1991. Part of her message included a statement "it isn't what you always show it is sometimes what you hide". This remained with me for many many years. It is something that I tell students often. Save the I can't. Save the unfavorable disposition, and save the always expecting something from others. Prepare yourself is the message that I give. This is done through education.

My message was very short, it was just one of encouragement and support. I challenged each to remember that Alabama State University is a Academic Institution. You must leave with what you came for; your degree. This was my message. I hope the students received it well.

Dr. Lowe

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing this golden nugget! I will definitely use and share this.
    I often have little talks with my students at the start of each class, we begin by answering our essential question of the day... these questions don't always pertain to our lesson, but most times it does, I do believe in intertwining life lessons with our classroom lessons. And I am so thankful that I shared afternoon tea and crossword puzzles with my late Grandmother, she was full of little nuggets and I'm blessed that I remember them! One that I always share is.... "Inch by inch is a cinch..... But by the yard... its hard... I apply and say this to myself always, even on tasks such as mowing my lawn!
    Thanks, as now I am going to show less and hide more!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for responding. I often tell me staff. The little personal conversations you have with students saves the day. I know that my words and efforts will impact the greater outcome of the students. Thanks for reading and sharing.

      Delete